13 . LITERACY CUM SOCIAL SERVICES
The City Social Welfare and Development Office is the lead implementing office for the IEC in social development. The following are the social programs have been implemented with a varied of information, knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to help uplift the living condition of the people.
13.1 LITERACY FOR ELDERLY
* Provisions of social services to improve quality of life thereby becoming independent constituents in our community.
* 23 Barangays were organized and federated in the city level.
* Some members are volunteers in the Reading Program of the City.
* Assistance and services extended includes to wit: Referral to GO and NGO’s. Medical and Dental Services, neighbourhood Support and Services, issuance of Senior Citizens ID’s and purchased Slip for Medicines, provision of Assistive Rehabilitative Devices, livelihood Assistance, temporary Placement to Home for the Aged, financial and Educational Assistance, burial Assistance.
* It has more than 2,300 active members.
* Annual appropriation of Php 300,000.
13.2 LITERCY FOR THE PERSON WITH DISABILITIES (PWD’s)
* Organized into federation and the PESO help them for fund linkage thereat Department of Labor and Employment in the amount of P100, 000.00.
* The group is also a recipient of financial grant from LGU – Tagum City and Rotary Club of Golden LACES
* It has a total number of beneficiaries of 623 members.
* Annual Appropriation is PHP 185,000.
13.3 LITERACY FOR THE YOUTH
* The Local Government Unit of Tagum has invested programs for the the out – of – school youth, disadvantage and working youths. Activities includes; Advocacy and Social Mobilization; Capability Building, Basic Management Training and Leadership Skills Training; Training Cum Production; Livelihood Generation.
* These programs are geared towards the total development of the young workers, out-of-school youths and other disadvantaged youth in terms of their spiritual economic, physical, psychological, cultural and social development.
* At the present there are 55 out of school youths actively participated in the Pag-asa Youth Association.
IMPACT OF THE PROGRAM
* Enhanced life & youth’s skills and development.
* Raised Awareness and Consciousness of the Youth.
* &Established/Strengthen Livelihood Projects.
13.4 LITERACY FOR WOMEN
* The Local Government Unit of Tagum City ensures active participation of women and women’s organizations by providing those programs and projects. Empowered with the right skills and proper motivation, these women will become powerful agent in nation building, thus the inception of the Women Development Program actively advocated by the Tagum City Council of Women (TCCW).
* To date the Council of Women ventured into business, entrepreneurial and livelihood activity receiving government grants and awarded as best implementer of Agro Processing and Promotion Project
* As a result, through their concerted efforts, since the council had been organized, there are almost 3,000 members from 23 barangays and 4 sectoral organization, operates 7 livelihood kiosks and manage 4 public restrooms and participated in several training workshop.
* Aside from the Council of Women, the SEA – K of Magdum is also an active women organization; they have been in the operation for 11 year now by providing capital assistance to marginal families with a minimum of 2% interest. To date there are 3 groups composed of 35 beneficiaries with Php 900, 000 funds.
Other programs are geared towards the development of the disadvantaged women, solo parent’s ad indigent women.
* Community organizing and networking with other sectors in the community particularly the church groups like the TC Ministerial Fellowship Incorporated will be maximized.
13.5 LITERACY THRU GENDER & DEVELOPMENT
One of government’s priority programs focused on gender and development, GAD examines the social, cultural. Political and economic realities in society and how they assign different roles, responsibilities and expectations to men and women,
One of the activities undertaken by the Local Government is to make it gender – responsive through Advocacy and Training, The conduct of community education in various forms in the barangays has encouraged victims to surface reports of violence to the authorities. The group formulated the Local GAD Code, which is now on its second reading in the City Council.