|:: home :: barangay map ::|
BARANGAY MAGUGPO SOUTH
A legend explains how the name Magugpo came about. At the beginning, Magugpo was nothing but a vast wilderness, inhabited by the Mansakas, Manguangans, Mandayas and the Kalagans in the coastal barangays. The name Magugpo was derived from the native word "mago", a name of certain tree, and the "ugpo" means very high. According to the story, the natives were occupying a river basin inside the thickly covered forest where they could not even see the sun. The creek where the natives dwelt still exists, but the once abundant fresh water is now dead, unfortunately due to pollution.
In 1940’s, Magugpo which become a barangay by virtue of Executive Order No. 452, issued by Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon on June 23, 1941.
The Local Government of Magugpo was journalized on 1947 during the time of President Manuel A. Roxas of the infant Republic of the Philippines.
In the 1980's, there was a plan to divide the Barangay Magugpo Poblacion but was not realized, it was during the term of office of Barangay Captain Rogelio E. Israel and Mayor Victorio Suaybaguio Jr. who pursued the division in five (5) barangays namely; Magugpo Poblacion, Magugpo South, Magugpo North, Magupo West and Magugpo East. This was created through an ordinance passed and approved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Ordinance No. 02 s-1993).
The first Barangay Captain of Magugpo South was Hon. Delia TaTad, followed by Hon. Danilo Gullon and during his last term of office he died (Cancer). The next successor was the first Kagawad in the name of Hon. Rodolfo Palar. During barangay election Hon. Palar defeated by the new elected Barangay Captain Alfredo Pagdilao.
Source: DILG, CPDO, COMELEC, CEO, NSO, DANECO
EXISTING FACILITIES/ INSTITUTIONS: